The Department of Languages and Linguistics at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is pleased to host the Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (HLS) from October 24-26, 2019. HLS invites research on aspects of linguistics including (but not limited to): synchronic and diachronic approaches to theoretical linguistics, language acquisition, sociolinguistics, bilingualism, language contact, syntax, phonology/phonetics, pragmatics, semantics, applied linguistics, and Spanish in the US.
Paper and poster presentations can be delivered in Spanish, Portuguese or English. Talks will be assigned 20 minutes for presentation (plus 10 minutes for discussion).
Dr. Laura Colantoni, University of Toronto
Dr. Paola E. Dussias, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Anna María Escobar, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Dr. Olga Fernández Soriano, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
• All abstracts should be anonymous, not exceeding 500 words (not including title), with a second page reserved for examples, tables and references.
• Authors may submit up to two abstracts, one individual and one joint.
• Authors should specify the title of the paper, area of research, name, academic affiliation, and email in the form within the abstract submission system.
• Abstracts must be submitted through EasyAbstracts (EasyAbs): http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/HLS2019
• Deadline to submit abstracts is May 3rd, 2019.
Notifications will be sent out by August 1st 2019.
Scholarship for Student Presenters
Students submitting their abstracts to HLS 2019 can apply for the Professor Javier Gutiérrez-Rexach Scholarship, which will cover conference fees and provide a modest award to the winner. The scholarship honors the memory of Professor Javier Gutiérrez-Rexach, who contributed immensely to the field of linguistics and was among one of the first organizers of the Hispanic Linguistics Symposium.
To apply for this scholarship, please clearly indicate in your abstract that you are a student applying. A committee of experts will review them and the best abstract will be awarded the scholarship.
Contact Information: email@example.com
Organizing Committee: Elise Bell, Carla Contemori, Raquel Gonzalez de Anda, Natalia Mazzaro, and Sabrina Mossman.
Additional information will be provided on the conference website:
Interested in teaching a workshop at HLS? Please, go to https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/hispanic-linguistics-symposium-2019/workshop-proposals/ for more information.